I would like to ask a question of you...if you don't mind answering. I have let a Betty Cocker cake mix set here until it is out dated from Sept 23 2014. Also a frosting out dated Nov 12 2014.Would you still use either.
I have to tell you I called the company and asked the question. They said not to use it because of the quantity of freshness they
couldn't tell me to use either.


7 comments:
My daughter became sick with food poison-like symptoms when a neighbor made a cake for her using an expired cake mix.
Thanks for visiting my blog.
Oh, I don't know. I'm supposing I wouldn't use it either. Shoot! A good cake down the drain! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)
I can't give an expert opinion but I probably wouldn't use them. Better to be safe than sorry.
Oh gosh, I'd probably still use it but not for anything important like a birthday cake. I'm nervous now though reading the other comments!
Nooo, I think I would just trash it..I've done the exact same thing and I threw mine out. I'm afraid to use anything expired...I am such a titty baby, tho. lol
Thanks so much for coming by and liking the new header.
That's only 3 mos. ago! I personally would have no problem using it, but you must make your own decision. My understanding is that the only REQUIRED (by the 'government') expiration dates are on baby formula/food. All other dates are set by the manufacturer. So many things get pitched because of 'marketing' that don't need to be and we waste so much food because of "expiration dates" - so it's good on 1/1 but not on 1/2 because it "expires" on 1/2?? Not too long ago, I used a bottle of clam juice in clam chowder that had a "best before" date some five years earlier - no problem! Expiration dates only started showing up in the last 40-50 years or so as a means of protecting manufacturers and for stores to rotate their stock. Can you tell this is soapbox item for me?
I've seen a lot of information like this on the news lately. They basically say that we should go back to the old way of doing things like our parents and grandparents, using the smell-taste test.
I would use the cake mix for sure--the icing? I would open and smell/taste to make that decision.
But I agree that you should use your best judgement. :)
Post a Comment